Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Windows7 Boots to Black?

I recently took the plunge and decided to load Windows7 (pre-beta 6801) on my laptop.  While I have been very satisfied with the performance and how stable it appears to be, it is not without its quirks.

The other day I restarted my machine, and before it got to the splash screen where it normally does the "ta-da" and displays the Windows Logo (immediately before ctrl+alt+delete screen) all I got was a black screen and a mouse.  I tried all sorts of keystrokes and mouse movements, but I could not get the computer to respond.  I tried "sleeping" the computer and even rebooting to the same event.  I thought I was hosed.  However, some stroke of genius occurred and, while at the black screen of horror, I disconnected my smart phone. 

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...

That did the trick, my computer resumed the Windows dance and I was quickly able to login.

Now, I have rebooted several times successfully with my phone connected without a problem, but have had this rare occurrence happen to me more than once or twice.  I would be curious if anyone else out there has experienced the same.

No comments: